Saturday, January 29, 2011

Movie Night!

First, I just want to say thank you all so, so much for all of your comments, advice, and prayers!  Seriously, you all are so wonderful.  Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to write about something totally unrelated to IF so I can try to get my mind off of it. :)


Last night, Boomz and I went to see The Ri.te. :)  When I first saw the trailer for the movie, I thought, "Okay, I really, really want to see this because An.thony Ho.pkins is amazing, but it looks too scary."  Well, after reading a bazillion reviews, one of which said it wasn't even scary, I was convinced I HAD to see it.


It was AMAZING! :)


I don't know why in the world that guy that said it wasn't scary, because I was TERRIFIED. lol  I brought my Benedictine crucifix, just in case, and I was holding and kissing that thing almost the whole time (not superstitiously, of course.  Just for comfort and to remind me He has already won!).  There were some definite umm...icky...parts.  However, most of the reason I was terrified was because of the spiritual reality that surrounds me that I really, really don't take seriously enough.  I left the movie with a sense that I need to pray much, much more often (other than a morning offering, prayers before meals, and a Divine Mercy Chaplet), especially for priests.  They are on the front lines of this battle every single minute of their lives.  Their battles may not be as dramatic as Fr. Lucas' are in the movie, but I'm sure the devil tempts them horribly because of their priestly office.  As Boomz said when we were walking out of the theater, "It made me want to never stop praying the rosary ." :)


The movie is also VERY Catholic. :)  There are cassocked priests and habited nuns everywhere, and rosaries and statues of Our Lady abound.  I mean, there are a few parts where the nerd in me got annoyed (they kept saying the seminarian was going to take "first vows", which doesn't make sense unless he was in an order of some kind.  Diocesan priests just make promises), but it didn't make that many mistakes about Catholic theology (that I noticed).  Overall, the Church is portrayed in a favorable light, and it made me think a great deal about the consequences of sin and what it means to sin.  Besides, Anth.ony Ho.pkins was just amazing!  And adorable, in the old man kind of way. :) I would love to go see it again.


On a somewhat related note, the teenagers that were in the theater behaved awfully!  Do teenagers behave much worse than when we were teenagers, or am I just turning into a curmudgeon? lol  I mean, they were throwing things across the room in the middle of the movie, sitting on each other's laps, making crude jokes, and talking the ENTIRE time!  The kids in front of us got so bad that Boomz finally said something to them and they left. :) 

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to watch that movie!!

    And, I think teens are somewhat worse, but I guess when I was a teen I just didn't recognize when a group of us was being obnoxious. However, I don't think that I was rude in movie theatres. That always bugged me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now I really want to see this! Thanks for the review! I enjoyed "Emily Rose" too ("enjoyed" being a loose term here haha... I DID enjoy a lot of it but oh my some scenes are just too sinister to "enjoy").

    ReplyDelete