Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Immaculate Conception


Happy Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, and congratulations Sew! :)  What a wonderful day!


This is one of my favorite days of the whole liturgical year.  The Immaculate Conception has been one of my favorite titles of Our Lady long before I ever knew what it meant.  In 8th grade, my CCD teacher taught us about the saints (this was the first year we'd ever been taught about them), and she told us about the "Incorrupt.ibles".  St. Bernadette particularly fascinated me, so I asked my teacher if she could tell me more about her.  She gave me a biography of St. Bernadette, which I devoured, although I was so ignorant of the Faith that I really didn't understand much of it.  I remember getting chills when I read that Our Lady said to St. Bernadette, "I am the Immaculate Conception," although, again, I had no idea what that meant.  I remember having a discussion with a friend before my AP History class my junior year, wondering how Jesus could have been born on Dec. 25th if He was conceived on Dec. 8th! lol  I think it  might have been my freshman year of college when I finally understood what this doctrine actually means.  


Our Lady means more to me than I could ever express, and I know she was fundamental in my reversion.  Thank you, Mama, for praying for me.  I love you so much! 


"And a great sign appeared in heaven, a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars..." Revelation 12:1


Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!


P.S. Don't you just love that image of Our Lady and Jesus?  I love how He's all snuggled up to her!

1 comment: